Hello, Sunshine! As the summer starts to simmer to an end, your body may be feeling well rested, revitalized and loving that natural, sun-kissed glow, but the weathering it does to you physically is actually wreaking havoc on your hair and skin. In order to keep myself in the spirit of our short-lived summers both mentally and physically, I want to share with you five of my DIY Summer Spa Treatments to save your summer skin…while also saving a few pennies. All five of these beauty remedies can be whipped up with items already stocked in your cabinets, and if not…the total cost to create any of these concoctions is less than $10, and not only will they last you longer than your usual drug-store products, but your hair and skin will thank you, because the ingredients are au naturale.
- When it comes to maintaining a healthy beauty regime, the first process I work with is my skin. I consider this my canvas, the foundation for what gets built up around it-so this receives the most attention! I’ve shared in the past, my love for Bloke Body products, but if you’ve run out of your favorite facial/body scrub, or you’re looking to find one that suits you-look no further than your kitchen cabinets! Next to Bloke, the only other exfoliates I tend to use on my skin are the ones I create on my own. With these beautiful summer months, comes some serious damage to your skin, so what better products are there to put on our bodies to relieve us from the weather-inflicted damage, than the ones that we create? That way, we know what harsh chemicals (or lack-there-of, in this case) are being ingested by our skin.
Below are the ingredients I use for my absolute two favorite facial/body exfoliates that I enjoy using during these warm summer months:
My favorite exfoliate (as pictured above) smells like fresh coconuts & brown sugar-flavored coffee and calls for:
- 3 tsp of coconut oil
- 4 tsp of coffee grounds
- 3-4 tsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- Mix together in a mason jar and enjoy!
*What I love most about this scrub is the coconut oil. Coconut oil is considered a “miracle” food due to all of the benefits one can obtain from it, both mentally and physically. If there was more time, I would explain how I reap the benefits from it, but I think I’ll save that for a later post!
However, if you’re looking for more of a fresh “lemony” scent-try this, it’s great to use in the morning, because the citrus smell is sure to wake you right up!
- 1/2-1 whole fresh lemon (depending on how strong of a smell you’re going for)
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp of organic raw honey
- Mix together in a mason jar and enjoy
*Lemon is a key ingredient here, because it does wonders for your skin, especially during those summer months! Other than the fact that it’s a natural source of Vitamin C, it helps to erase some of those age spots and sun spots. Not to mention, it’s also a natural astringent (meaning it’s a water-based solution that helps to tighten your skin ) so it helps to cleanse your pores, which subsequently, helps give you that natural (and healthy) sun-kissed glow!
2. Lip Scrub-It’s one thing to apply a balm to help keep those lips kissable, but it’s another thing when you actually go beneath the surface of those lips to help exfoliate the build-up of all those dead skin cells. In order to keep my lips soft and moisturized I create a scrub to avoid what my husband calls the “Glazed Donut” look (sorry for that graphic image for all of you donut lovers!).
- 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cane sugar
- add a drop of your favorite oil (lavender, peppermint, vanilla, etc…)
- (optional) 1-2 drops of food coloring to tint your scrub and your lips
- Combine in a small container and rub onto your lips with a toothbrush, before rinsing off with warm water
3. …And to show off those rejuvenated lips, why not incorporate a teeth whitener to give you those pearly whites to complete your look? I don’t know about you, but I absolutely loooooovveee my coffee and tea, and although I lighten my coffee with cream, my tea is whichever color the flavor I opted for that day, is…so I am always cautious about the harm it causes when it comes to staining my teeth. After talking to my dentist, he recommended that if I wanted to, there’s always the option of whitening my teeth. Although I have an obsession with dental hygiene (I guess that’s what you get when you’ve had experience working for a dentist), I just don’t feel right dropping $250 in order for my dentist to make my mouth glow an unnatural shade of white. So…I did what most people do these days, I went home and confided in my friend, Pinterest…and after a few trial and errors, I was able to stick to a concoction that make my teeth very happy!
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide (yes, it sounds gross…who would want this in their mouth?! But what do you think those teeth-whitening strips consist of…??)
- 1/2 tsp of water
- One drop of toothpaste
- mix ingredients in a cup or Tupperware container and brush onto teeth for 2 minutes (repeat once a week)
4. Don’t think for a moment you can neglect your hands and feet! Try this Strawberry and Peppermint Hand and Foot Scrub to remove the dead skin that has built up from running around in sandals, or barefoot for the past few months (this also includes those that have taken advantage of some extra time working out, as well!)
- 2 cups of pureed strawberries
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp of cane sugar
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Blend all ingredients in a glass jar and scrub onto hands and feet and rinse with warm water
*Strawberries AND Peppermint are a perfect combination for removing tough, dry skin, because strawberries are rich in antioxidants, which makes the removal of dead skin easier, and the peppermint is not only hydrating, but it is anti-bacterial, and soothing.
5. Bringing life back to those salty tresses-If there is one part of my body that gets a beating over the summer months, it’s my poor hair! Not only do I highlight it twice a year, but with the amount of times I throw it up in a top-knot, wear it down and spray it with Not Your Mother’s Sea Salt Spray, submerge it in sea water or chlorine, or Flat Iron it, the least I can do to my locks is give it some love. Below are ingredients to create a hair mask to restore your brittle hair into a longer, fuller, softer and silkier mane.
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil (be mindful with the amount of oil you put into your hair…overdoing it just the littlest bit can cause for some severely oily hair, so start small and work your way)
- 1 large egg
- massage into dry hair (to help increase circulation throughout your scalp) and then let it soak in for about 15 minutes, before washing your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner
*The Coconut Oil seen in the picture above was purchased at Target
So if you’re looking for something stress-free to get you through the rest of the week, or need an excuse for some bonding time with the girls, choose one, or all five of these treatments to look and feel fabulous, sun up to sun down for the remainder of these blue skies and sunshiney days! What are some of your favorite DIY Summer Beauty Remedies? Don’t forget to tag me with the DIY’s you’ve tried (Facebook “Danielle Piel” Instagram @daniellepiel, or leave me a comment!).
Photo Credits for Pictures associated with DIY 2 & 4: Google Images